Friday, June 13, 2014

June 11: forgot to post

I week from today I will be trekking in the Himalayas.  I still have some gear to sew together and a little food prep to do but all in all I am approximately ready.  Unfortunately a lot of my prep time I thought I would have this week has been eaten up.  Sunday I was out getting some not really required supplies.  I scored a massive luxury item, a self inflating pad, if only I can fit it in my pack.  Monday I spent 4 hours driving so I could spend 20 minutes at a wedding and last night was spent working late and reading the Hobbit to the nurglings.  All good things but the prep list isn't getting shorter but time is.

I'm not afraid of not being able to finish in time.  Most of the things on the list now are luxery things that I can substitute for if need be.  I'm expecting the weather to be pretty chilly but I didn't have time to finish all of my cold weather projects.  I should still be fine.

I got myself a new notebook so I can keep writing while I'm away.  It has been hard the past few days as I have been booked and my mornings have been spent running up and down the 10 stories of my building as opposed to sitting at the keyboard typing.  Clickety clack clickety clack.  I feel the mental pressure of some ideas forming but they have yet to crystallize so I just feel somewhat cloudy.  I've been thinking a lot the last few days about turning around.

On Sunday we were driving home and I missed my exit.  I worked my way back on a side road but soon the nice paved side road took an immediate left and we were on a very dark and bumpy side road.  I had a vague remembrance to going down this road before and so I continued to travel down into the bumpy darkness.  I was over half way down this road when I thought that I should just turn around and head back the way I came.  I know where I missed my turn.  I don't know where this is going.  Getting lost in semi-rural India in the black of night was not my idea of an enjoyable Sunday.  While battling with whether I should go on or turn around I thought that this would make a great blog but I don't really have anything to say about it, it is simply one of the things that is rolling around like marbles in my mind but I don't know how it will all coalesce.  I did continue on and found my way home but I don't want to really sermonize that because I could have very well gotten lost.  Going ahead is not always the right answer but I still don't know how one knows when it is or not.

Pressing forward during Picket's Charge or Balaklava was a very bad idea.  Pressing forward at Gallipoli on the other hand might have saved thousands of lives.

Something I'm looking forward to on this trip is to take an input sabbatical.  I'm not going to bring my kindle or headphones.  Only my bright pink notepad.  Only being in the current moment and capturing output.  Nothing goes in.  Should be nice.  I've slipped back into filling my head instead of using my hands in my free time.  At least my muscles hurt from all the stairs I've been climbing the last couple days.

No comments: